Gunung Nuang 12 Hours Endurance Race

The inaugural ultra trail running event organized by our fellow runner Jeff Ooi took place at Gunung Nuang early this month. We didn't run up all the way to the peak but we did 10km loop starting from the entrance and U-turn near Kem Lolo before the river. The race flag-off at 6am but I started 30 minutes later after Subuh prayer.
Flag-off at 6am
The trail still pitch black dark when we started running. Few of us carrying headlamp to ensure we follow the right path. The first light appeared after 7am. With fresh air and sound of flowing water at the nearby river, felt so calm and serene.
The trail was very dark when we started
Actually, it was my first Ultra Trail Running. I never run off-road this long before. I had minor set back when my right ankle twisted on the way down in my first loop. It was painful but it didn't stop me from continuing 4 more loops. The terrain was quite tough compare to trails in FRIM. Elevation in each loop was about 500m, that means I ran higher than Mt. Kinabalu in total! In 4th loop, running down was even more painful then running up. At some points I had to walk backward down the trail.
Some of the my photos taken by photographers and runners
Le Sabun team members who took part in the race were Cikgu Syed, Arman, Shine, Fathudin, Ray, Zinov and Mun Ngai. And Zul was our team manager supporting us with food for refuelling. All of us did 50km that day.
Team Le Sabun ultra maniacs
In 3rd loop I paced with Debbie the winner in women category (she did 7 loops) for about 3km and we had a long chat. She's a British working in Penang. The overall winner is Dino who did 9 loops all together in 12 hours!! He's making a comeback after recovered from injury in 2012. 
My friends and other participants

Arman & me finishing in style!

Team Le Sabun. So, bad I'm the only one don't have Sabun's T.

Group photo for those who ran more than 40km
I also surprised to see Esther there. She came later after most of us completed our last loop. I was so exhausted after the race, she offered to drive me back to KL and bought me a dinner. Thanks Esther!
Friends at the venue

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2014 KTM Duke 690R

2021 Triumph Trident 660

Weekend jaunt to Brisbane