So much hassle to bring helmet into Malaysia

Arai or Shoei Helmets in Malaysia are considered as top brand and they are very expensive, nothing less than RM2000 a piece and some models fetch up 3-4 thousands ringgit. I always wanted to buy one but the price has put me on hold until I found out Japanese Yen dropped so much now and it is cheaper to buy online from Rakuten online shopping. I bought my Arai Tour Cross 3 Helmet more than one thousand ringgit cheaper in Japan. When I purchased it via a friend in Tokyo, I didn't know I need a permit to ship it to Malaysia. So, when the package arrived at POS Malaysia KLIA, it has been confiscated by the Royal Custom.

I had 21 days to get custom clearance or it will be shipped back to Tokyo. POS Malaysia sent me a letter saying that my package has been kept at POS Malaysia KLIA waiting for custom clearance. Then with the letter I went to MITI (Ministry of International Trade and Industry) office at Kompleks Kerajaan Jalan Duta to apply for the AP. I didn't call when I go there, so I didn't bring the relevant documents I need to attach with the application form. Fortunately, a lady at the reception was helping me print out the photo of the helmet from the Internet and I had to handwrite an official letter to the MITI officer. Actually, I was impressed at how efficient and helpful is the staff. 

It took me 7 days to get the AP approved. With the AP, I went to POS Malaysia KLIA (building next to old LCCT) to claim the package and get custom clearance. It was quite busy that day and I had to wait in long queues from claiming the package to paying the fee at several counters. I only need to pay RM18 for the processing fee. Why so little?? This is the trick... when you declare the price make sure it is lesser than RM500. Or else, 10% duty will be imposed on you. It wasn't difficult to get the AP but the process was quite hassle in my opinion. If you're going to save just couple hundreds ringgit... I think you can just forget it. Just buy the stuff here in Malaysia. But if you can save more than a thousand ringgit..... then go for it.  

Actually, most people don't know that to bring in helmets into Malaysia requires a permit from MITI . Why do you need a permit??? I have asked the relevant parties involved in process.

According to these people...
Me: Encik, kenapa kena ada permit daripada MITI (Sir, why do I need a permit from MITI?) 
Custom officer: "Mesti la kena ada permit sebab kita kena pastikan helmet yang dibawa masuk menepati standard SIRIM. Kalau accident mati pecah kepala.... kami jugak kena menjawab." (Must have permit to ensure the helmet meets SIRIM standard. We have to be responsible if there is a fatal accident involving the helmet) 
Me: In my mind, I was thinking..."WTF?!! Arai doesn't meet SIRIM standard?? Actual Arai is using SNELL standard which is goes beyond any government standards around the world including SIRIM!"

Me: Cik, kenapa kena ada permit daripada MITI (Miss, why do I need a permit from MITI?)
Staff MITI: "Saya pun tak pasti, mungkin nak jaga industri helmet Malaysia??" (I also not sure, probably to protect helmet industry in Malaysia)
Me: In my head... What helmet industry??? Most of the chepo helmets are still substandard in my opinion.

After a series of discussion with several people, I made a conclusion why MITI trying to stop people from bringing in good helmets on their own into Malaysia is to protect SIRIM business of getting income from issuing SIRIM stickers to those who are doing business by bringing in helmet in larger quantity. It is just another way how the government squeezing our pocket. We have ministers who are into motorcycling and I hope they will fight for motorcyclist community.

The color not available here

Smoke shield makes the helmet looks cooler

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mestila..bukan kita saja yg buat itu macam..ada Negara lain pun buat itu macam bro....
scootster said…
Off course la bro. No outside food allowed. You should have check it first. I did. And you should have know it better. Without AP, a kapchai rider will be wearing branded helmet.
chan said…
Hi Kam, my helmet has been confiscated too lately. Can you share more info about the procedure involved at MITI?
Kam Kasturie said…
Hi Chan, in the letter you received when your helmet was confiscated by Custom you are given a choice to do the clearance yourself or get POS Malaysia to do it with some charge. You just call the number on the letter to get clear procedure. Or you can call MITI direct for the procedure.
Unknown said…
How do you get away on declaring the price to be below rm500? Dont you have to show them the invoice or the PO or something? Pls help. My Icon Airmada is being held there as well right now.. :(
Kam Kasturie said…
Hi Dan, yes you have to show them the invoice. But I showed them EMS delivery invoice with declared merchandise value USD100 by my friend in Tokyo. If your online shop put actual value, too bad for you.
Unknown said…
Well i guess then it is too bad for me. Haha thanks a lot though, btw what documents do i need to bring to miti to get the permit?
Unknown said…
Well i guess then it is too bad for me.. Haha thanks though. Anyway what docs should i bring to miti in order to get the permit?
Kam Kasturie said…
My pleasure bro.
Let me recall... hmmm you need to bring the letter from EMS POS Malaysia, invoice, helmet catalog (can print from the internet) and application letter. I forgot to take photo of my handwritten official letter request for the AP :P

The best is to call MITI direct line and ask them for guidelines to apply AP for helmet in case if they changed the procedure or required docs recently. Trust me, they are very helpful people.

Hope you will be able to claim your awesome Icon helmet from Kastam. Don't wait too long because there is time limit if you don't claim your helmet, kastam will ask POS Malaysia to return it back to sender.
Unknown said…
Alright noted bro :) if it's no trouble for you, could you email me what you wrote in the official application letter? I kinda suck at writing letters, dont know what to write. Is it long? Just bits and pieces of important stuff will do hehe. Thanks, email is danariff118@gmail.com
Kam Kasturie said…
I don't remember la what I wrote. The letter must be in Bahasa Melayu and you can get the sample letter from the lady at reception in MITI. Just copy the sample and you have to handwrite it over there. She was very helpful, she even printed out the helmet picture from the Internet for me.
Unknown said…
bro any idea if wanted to bring in exhaust system from USA it is need an AP from MITI? Thanks
Unknown said…
bro any idea if wanted to bring in exhaust system from USA it is need an AP from MITI? Thanks
Kam Kasturie said…
I don't think you need an AP but you might need to pay tax for parts. The best to check with Kastam.
Anonymous said…
I bought HJC half helmet from USA, also tahan by kastem Kuching. What they want from me is just invoice, nothing on miti AP. The USA seller did not put any invoice in the parcel and ems declaration only put usd50. I acted dumb in front of thr official and told him the helemt worth usd120 with ems, which is lower than rm500, so no tax.
Even it is above rm500, what kastem can tax you is only 6% GST (confirmed by the official). But better get ready the hs code.
as of muffler/exhaust, since it is part of the motorcycle, the import duty is 30% plus 6% GST. I intend to buy 2 brother full system, but with ems (never trust usps ems, it will not reach within 3-5 business day as usa custom will hold longer than that) and import duty etc, it is only rm200 cheaper than local dealer. I end up buy from local.
Heard from someone that some importer got 'special' arrangement, may be this is why some accessories still consider as reasonable price.
Kam Kasturie said…
Thanks Anonymous for the info on imported exhaust. This special arrangement given to those importers is to ensure they get better margin. Some of them even passed the saving to customers. The actual cost of many parts are not as expensive as we thought without import tax imposed by the Kastam.
Unknown said…
Hi, I'm facing the same problem now,really need ur advise....Helmet from S'pore,received a letter from pos laju,reply to Pos laju authorise Pos laju to clearance,2 day later Pos laju feedback, need to get permit at MITI,call to MITI why hv to apply permit? cause this is not on the road is for go kart,but they need the approve letter too.

Now I so confuse, letter appoint to who? which dept? need to fill up form too? what form?
really appreciate it if you could give me some info.

Thanks!
Janet
Kam Kasturie said…
Hi Janet, sorry for late reply. The info as in my write-up above if you want to do it yourself. Or else, you can appoint Pos Laju to do the clearance on your behalf with some charges.
Unknown said…
Thanks Kam, I went to MITI apply the no permit or AP request letter with chop, appoint pos laju to clearance too, charge me RM168.40.
Thanks for the info ya!
Kam Kasturie said…
Glad to hear that. If you live far away from KLIA and have no time to do the clearance, it worth money spend.
Unknown said…
HI Kam,

I'm planning to bring my helmet from the United States to Malaysia. Do I need to apply AP for MITI too? I am purchasing a brand new helmet. It just a helmet that I already used here in the US. I am wondering it the whole applying for AP process applicable in my case?

Thank you
Kam Kasturie said…
Hi afidmo, so sorry I didn't reply your post earlier. I rarely update or checking my blog this year. I believe you already brought back your helmet from the States. But for other people's knowledge, you still have get AP to hand carry helmet back to Malaysia. Normally, if you get caught by the Kastam, they will confiscate it. The best method to bring in helmets without going through custom is by putting them in kontena together with other stuff you shipping into Malaysia.
Unknown said…
Know in 2017 Helmet no need pay tax or charge, and no miti ; only need approve permit from JPJ.
Unknown said…
Hi Kam,

I'm same facing the helmet import permit sirim problem, may to ask you how to get it. hope can get your help. thank you very much.
Faizal said…
Mohd basri : Betul ke 2017 beli helmet tk kena tax & ap boleh bg penjelasan ???? Permit dari jpj sahaja ? Saya bercadang nk beli helmet bell dari uk ...
Anonymous said…
Mohd basri : Betulke beli helmet dari luar negara tk kena tax & permit ap ? Saya becadang nk beli helmet dari uk takut plk rasa sangkut kastam
Kam Kasturie said…
Check out link below under import license by MITI for item no. 32
http://www.westportsmalaysia.com/upload/List_of_Products_That_Require_Import_and_Export_Licenses_Under_MITI.pdf
Kam Kasturie said…
Check also link below
http://pdk.dagangnet.com/doc/Customs%20(Prohibition%20of%20Imports)%20Order%202017.pdf
Goods which is absolutely prohibited for import
Page no.260, item no.14
"Motorcyclists' safety helmets (except as worn by motorcyclists or motorcycle pillion riders"

If I translate it into Bahasa "Helmet keselamatan penunggang motosikal (kecuali yang dipakai oleh penunggang motosikal atau pembonceng motosikal)

I have no idea what does it means. Does it mean, helmet worn by motorcyclists can now be imported into Malaysia?? Hope someone with better command of English can highlight to us.
Unknown said…
Wish I've found this article earlier. Purchased USD600 helmet from US. Held by Customs & labeled as "Barang larangan". Im lost now.
Kam Kasturie said…
Hi Ken, better contact kastam what they mean by barang larangan. They will guide you what to do to get clearance.
Unknown said…
Hi all, recently i also get stucked by klia2 kastam. I brought from taiwan and no that expensive helmet. The custom talked me go jpj to take the letter approve. And ask me take photo of helmet. After few days i went to jpj. The putrajaya jpj was change the new rules said that must have testing label which seal on helmet and compulsory. What shame of malaysia jpj !!! Even malaysia local helmet dont have it but they request overseas to fulfill it. They just want to hold the power on their hand. Malaysia jpj dont have standard, even kastam also. For me helmet if we have any incident, that is our problem. We no need jpj for approve it. Jpj just a guideline. Shame on JPJ no standard at all. Just want our rakyat money. Damn
if the helmet is from US and only DOT certified, can we bring it to Malaysia?
i intend to buy Simpson M50 from revzilla.
Kam Kasturie said…
sorry Stanley, I didn't check my blog for the past 1 year... got some issue.
Yes, you can bring in any helmet regardless certified or not.
Anonymous said…
Hi I came across this post and wna ask a qn
I'm thinking of getting a helmet for a friend (msian working in sg). Will it be a problem if he bring back or wear the helmet into msia?
Sorry I don't know who to ask so it'll be great if you/anyone could help
Kam Kasturie said…
Hi Anonymous,
The trick is to get your friend to wear the helmet when he rides the bike across the causeway.
Unknown said…
if i shipping the helmet to malaysia from japan did i need to apply the MITI ? im malaysian living in japan, can i apply from onlie ?
Kam Kasturie said…
Hi Unknown,
no longer need MITI approval. But now require JPJ approval. checkout the link below for details.
https://www.funtasticko.net/info-apa-perlu-anda-buat-jika-topi-keledar-import-ditahan-pihak-kastam/

Popular posts from this blog

2014 KTM Duke 690R

2021 Triumph Trident 660

Weekend jaunt to Brisbane