R1200GS Rallye 2018

I have been dreaming about owning a BMW GS for a long time. It all started back in 2002 when I envisioned taking a bike tour with my wife sitting behind me, hugging me from behind. At that time, the model was the R1150GS. In 2003, I bought an MZ125SM with a beak that closely resembled the GS. Many people mistook it for a BMW, but it was actually a smaller 125cc MZ supermotard.

In 2004, I watched the TV series "Long Way Round" and was immediately enamored with the GS after seeing Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman embark on a 31,000km adventure from London to New York, going through Europe, Asia, Alaska, and America. I have had a passion for motorcycles since childhood, but the GS is the ultimate one for me. Unfortunately, big cc motorcycles are very expensive in Malaysia due to import taxes.

In 2014, when I was ready to buy a big cc bike, the 1200GS had a hefty price tag that I couldn't justify. The cost was equivalent to half the price of my apartment, so I opted for a cheaper CKD KTM Duke 690R. I disciplined myself for delayed gratification in the short term so that I could enjoy greater rewards in the long term.

Now, at 45 years old, I have saved enough money to purchase a GS, and I believe the price will drop as BMW opens a factory in Thailand along with Ducati. I am not too old to be a "kental" biker, and I plan to enjoy the bike long before I become too weak or sick to ride or lose interest in riding altogether.

Before deciding on the GS, I also considered the MT-09 Tracer, Adv 1050, MTS Enduro 950, and Africa Twin. However, after speaking with people who are active in touring, most of them recommended the GS. Although many people believe that only "org kaya" ride GS, I recently met a taxi driver who owns not one but two GS at the Auto Bavaria service center. It all comes down to prioritizing what is important to you. For me, I'm not interested in owning a car, so I continue to use my 14-year-old Naza Citra and save money for bikes.

Here's a list of the bikes I have ridden and owned:

1992-1999: Honda C70 -72cc (belonged to my dad)
1999-2003: Honda EX5 - 97cc
2003-2018: MZ125 SM - 123cc
2014-present: KTM Duke 690R - 690cc
2015-present: Yamaha Nouvo 135 - 135cc
2018-present: BMW R1200GS Rallye - 1170cc

I opted for the R1200GS Rallye with the blue-colored frame trademark, which was released in 2017 to bridge the gap between the standard GS and GSA. Although the Rallye is more off-road-biased with stiffer spring rates, longer spring struts, and added travel, I may not take it off-road. Nonetheless, I love the design and color. Unfortunately, right after I bought the bike, BMW released a new GS with a bigger and better engine, the R1250GS.... Cipan betul la!! 😖😣



The showroom is very fantastic. Many models for you to fondle... errr I mean the bikes. 

 The sales guy treated me nicely, probably because I look like somebody who has money to spend.

It is a premium bike although made in Thailand.

With the premium of standard components

It is a huge & tall motorcycle and I feel small standing next to it, luckily I didn't get the GSA

One day after I picked up the bike

At Pengakalan Balak

We went riding to Melaka twice within a month




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2014 KTM Duke 690R

2021 Triumph Trident 660

Weekend jaunt to Brisbane