I bought a camera that everyone hates it !!
- Nikon CX Sensor is a small sensor. The most comments from photographers out there is how small the sensor is, compare to other MILC By logic, the bigger the sensor, the better the image quality. Too much noise under high ISO and larger DOF. There must be a reason why Nikon spent trillions of yen (oh... Nikon is a Japanese company) to come out with a new sensor for this series which I don't know. However, the sensor is bigger than all P&S cameras. Only Sony RX100 has same size sensor.
- Low resolution, only 10MP. My TG-1 also has 12MP. Some IMLC like Sony NEX-7 has 24MP. I'm ok with the resolution because I rarely crop my photos.
- Ugly design. Some people hate the look of V1. Not so ergonomic unlike NEX.
- No built-in flash. A bit turn-off to me as well. Have to buy external flash and cost another RM388.
- No panorama, no HDR, no miniature, no 3D, etc. C'mon Nikon.... point & shoot cameras also have all these features.
- No PASM dial. It is a big deal to some people.
- Max ISO only 3200. But this is enough for me.
- Camera menu is too simple. Good for P&S user but bad for DSLR user who wants more control. For me it is good enough.
- Too pricey when it came out. Single kit lens 10-30mm cost RM27000.
- And V1 is not the latest camera... released about a year ago. Nikon just launched the new V2 model recently.
On the flip side there are many advantages with V1 which other MILC don't have or only high-end DSLR have them. It is not totally a piece of crap actually. In fact it is a superb camera. Maybe Nikon has position it on the different track I guess.
- It has EVF. I love it! Viewfinder will automatically activate when you bring it to your eye, although the response a bit slow. I couldn't find in the menu to let it activated all the times.
- It has mechanical and electronic shutter. And the best part is the electronic shutter which can be silent. So, I can take photo without other people noticing it.
- The AF is so fast! You will never miss your subjects. Trust me. Probably the fastest out there using phase-detection compare to contrast-detection in other cameras.
- It has 135 AF point while other cameras have around 25 to 35
- Other cameras can snap photos between 5-10 fps, V1 can do rapid fire like a machine gun up to 60 fps!! Wow! But do you need it?
- Super fast shutter speed. Other cameras between 1/2000 and 1/4000. But this shit can do 1/16000 (sixteen thousand) !! But again, do you really need it?
- Big battery the same one used in D7000, photo shoot will last longer.
- Other than Full HD 1080p movie, V1 has slow motion movie function with 400fps or 1200fps. This one is so cool!
- While capturing a movie, you can shoot up to 20 still photos. Very useful during birthday party when capturing birthday boy/girl blowing off the candles.
- Small size, can be put in your jacket (unfortunately not pocketable in your pants). The lenses are the smallest among all MILC on the market. Why Nikon 1 able to have smaller lens and cheaper too?? This goes back to smaller sensor. Now we know why Nikon created CX sensor.
- Body made of Magnesium casing. It has solid feel in your hands like an expensive camera and I got mine in rare white color.
- Built-in intervalometer. You need it to create a timelapse video. Will try to create one soon.
- It has P&S feel even my kids can use. It will be easier when you ask other people who are not used to DSLR to take your photo.
- It's so cheap, I couldn't resist it!! The price dropped so much since the introduction of a new model V2. The cheapest single lens kit cost only RM1200. Cheaper than V1's smaller brothers J1 & J2. So sorry to existing V1 users who paid about RM2300 before the price drop. You have been conned by Nikon! (I read somewhere in the Internet, sudden increased of V1 users around the world after the price drop, maybe it is a good sign for Nikon 1)
|16:9 aspect ratio. Can't achieve bookeh due to small censor|
|3:2 aspect ratio. Dmi is so happy to have a dummy V1|
|Dmi took it using "smart selector"|
|Wide angle view with 10-30mm lens|
|Zoom to the max with 30-110mm lens. Nice huh?!|
|Macro shot on dummy V1|
|Fast shot under low light|
|Good color contrast|
|The telephoto lens can be used for bird watching|
|Comparison between bouncing flash (left) and direct flash (right)|
|Portrait can be nicely captured in black & white|
|Calm before the storm|